Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Carnival Limits Bottled Beverage at Embarkation


Smuggling alcohol on cruise ships has been going on for decades.  Why pay high drink prices, when you can simply bring along your own vodka concealed in a 7-up bottle?  See that 32 oz bottle of mouthwash?  It tastes a lot like Bacardi when poured over ice!   Well, the game is over if you're planning a Carnival cruise.  Carnival just announced restrictions for what can be carried on:

- No beverages packaged in bottles, except for one bottle of fine wine or champagne
- Non-alcoholic beverages in cans or cartons are permitted but limited to 12 or less and should be in the passenger's carry on baggage.
- Carnival is lowering it's price for 12-pack bottled water to $2.99 if pre-purchased and $4.99 once the cruise begins.

The reason for the change has been attributed to helping decrease embarkation times, but we know this is certainly being done to decrease the chance of smuggling alcohol on board the ships.  


For me personally, I've never felt a huge need to "smuggle", as I try to budget any drink costs into my vacation costs, but I can't say I have never had a "few" airliner-sized bottles inside my checked bags.  As we see a trend towards "all-inclusive" cruising that is including alcoholic drink packages, my hope is that this change won't effect too many passengers in a extremely negative way.  Like most policies of this nature,  those that legitimately want to bring water or a brand of soda not sold on board are the ones being truly punished.  I will definitely be happy to sail a bit sooner when the staff don't have to scan endless cases of Aquafina!

What are your thoughts?  

Please contact me to book your next cruise or land vacation!  mattdobeck@outlook.com or 954-798-6573

No comments:

Post a Comment